Over the years I had become quiet fond of my beer gut. I accepted and decided it would never change. My decision to go for it and see if I could achieve a six-pack was for many reasons but not for reasons of vanity.
Firstly, what a challenge and why not. It will be tough but I’m up for it as I needed a new goal.
Secondly for health reasons. Whilst the beer gut has been significantly reduced over the years, I wanted to reduce my body fat further whilst remaining healthy. My tummy area was the obvious area to focus on.
Thirdly, the strengthen of my abdominal muscles. Core stability is one area of fitness training that is not focussed on enough. It is a crucial area and amongst other things, having good core stability can help alleviate lower back pain. To help improve your tummy tone, the key muscles you need to work are the rectus abdominis, obliques and quadratus lumborum.
My beer gut removal plan
- Diet, nutrition and weight management – one reason my tummy resembled a barrel and not a lean mean fighting machine was due to eating too much sugar and saturated fat
- Aerobic exercise – the running, cycling and swimming would be maintained but with a clearer focus on longer distances and faster pace
- Core stability exercises – this hurts but it has started to make a difference and I’m slowly toning my tummy. Weight training came in very handy too to help burn even more fat
Here are a selection of core stability exercises I’ve been doing to rid myself of my pop belly
- The sit-up – 12 sit-ups, rest 30 seconds, repeat three times
- The Plank – hold for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds, repeat three times
- The v-sit up – 12 sit-ups, rest 30 seconds, repeat three times
- The back extension – 12 extensions, rest 30 seconds, repeat three times
- The oblique crunches – 12 crunches, rest 30 seconds, repeat three times
- The side plank – hold for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds, repeat three times
It is always best to consult a qualified personal trainer first before doing any resistance / core stability training especially if you are new to this type of training. They will be able to advise on the best core stability plan for you.
Fitness Challenge operates by setting smart goals to help you achieve the very best core stability.